Welcome to week thirty-six.
After last week’s service interruption, I’ve decided to get this done early, and I’m typing this using my new standing-up desk. Well, it’s not actually new and it’s not really a desk.
Yes, it’s an old camping table on top of a desk. It’s just the right height to work at and this is the second time I’ve used it since I had the idea on Friday. Just like the reading on the treadmill, I don’t think I could keep this up for very long periods of time. At least, until I get used to it. The first time I used it, when I went to move afterwards, my legs felt very stiff (I think I’d been using it for about an hour). I guess in a normal office there’s a lot more moving about than if you’re a writer. So, I’m going to limit myself to half-hour stints and see how it goes.
Rag & Bones: 1978
As you can see from the sidebar, the next Rag & Bones short is well underway. I’ve done a first draft but it’s very disjointed at the moment. I had a lot of trouble working out the entire story. So, at some point this week, maybe over the weekend, I’ll give it a second run through.
I managed to sketch out Rag & Bones book five (title secret for now!) in about an hour. That’s probably because I’ve been thinking about this particular book for a while. It’s much more organised than I’ve been for any of the others. Hopefully, that’ll mean it’s quicker to write when I start this week.
Other things I’ve done. I’ve finished the Midbury map. It’s not entirely filled out, but I want to leave room for other places that it may become apparent that I need in future books. I’ve made a jpg file out of it and put it as a screen background, so if I need to look something up quickly, I can (although it’s very small and I might have to squint a bit).
What else have I done. Well, I did my accounts stint yesterday, as planned. I think I’m just going to print out one Amazon spreadsheet a month, because along with the fact that PayPal have completely changed the format of everything in the past couple of weeks (grrr!), it still took me a couple of hours to do everything I needed to.
I’ve also been fiddling around with my email putting all my accounts onto Outlook.com rather than downloading to my machine – I know, everyone else did this ages ago, but I never felt the need. Anyway, that took me hours yesterday, partly because google mail was so slow and partly because it wasn’t a very intuitive process. I’ll keep both formats running for a couple of weeks until I’m sure it’s all working properly. The real purpose of doing something like this is to get all emails off my provider email account as I’m thinking of looking around for a better internet provider deal, and I can’t do that if important emails aren’t sorted yet.
Oh, and I also started sketching out the first few chapters of the NaNo novel. It’ll be a complete rewrite from what I started earlier in the year as I now have a much clearer idea of what it’s going to be. I hope I’ll get all the chapters worked out before November.
Right, that’s enough waffle. Time to sit down!
Oh, I forgot, I totally reorganised my office this week and I have so much more room. I’ve also got rid of all the rubbish that was cluttering the place up. Yay!
Aim: To monitor time spent reading over the week.
- Monday: R 45m
- Tuesday: R 1hr
- Wednesday: T 20m, R 55m
- Thursday: R 1hr
- Friday: S 35m, R 50m
- Saturday: R 1hr
- Sunday: R 25 m
Total hours: 6hr 50m
Join me next Monday for another round-up of progress and if you’re also challenging yourself to a wordcount each week, let me know in the comments..